Stacy Westfall Deaf & Mute?

22 Sep

Have you seen the following email?

“A GENTLE TOUCH CAN HAVE!\” A Horse Whisperer Hard not to get a bit emotional while watching! (read story below before watching) This girl is a deaf mute … she can\’t hear, nor can she speak. No bridle, no saddle … all commands are by touch only. This is one of those, \”I wouldn\’t believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes\” kind of things. A Horse Whisperer This girl riding the horse is in her 20\’s – her father passed away just 24 days before this performance. You can hear her dedication to him just before her performance so turn up your speakers a bit. Notice that it is just the girl and the horse – no bit, no saddle. She uses signals and touch cues, she\’s mute. Oh yes, this isn\’t even her horse. She is training it for someone else, although she obviously has a relationship with this one.”

Although some of it is true, my dad had just passed away and I had no saddle or bridle…some of it is untrue.

I WISH I was in my 20’s…can we make that part come true? lol

And I am NOT deaf (I can ignore the kids sometimes) and I am not mute (my husband might wish it).

This reminds me of a book we have for the kids, “Mr. Peabody’s Apples” by Madonna…yes, Madonna.

it is a great book about spreading things you think are true. “Spoiler Warning” In the book the boy (Tommy) here on the cover has told something he thought was true…but was not about Mr. Peabody. Mr. Peabody tells him to meet him at the top of the bleachers with a feather pillow. Tommy is then instructed to cut the pillow and shake it out into the very windy day. Relieved Tommy asks if that is all it takes to make things better and Mr. Peabody says, “Just one more thing…go pick up all the feathers.”

I am just thankful that this ‘deaf-mute’ thing is mostly harmless (mute dvd sales….). This serves as my reminder that you just can’t trust EVERYTHING you read on the internet. Please go to the source and check.

Posted by on September 22, 2011 in Life, Thought provoking, Video

205 responses to “Stacy Westfall Deaf & Mute?

1. Catherine Housman

September 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Thank you for the clarification, Stacey. My instincts told me that that part wasn’t true, so I did a bit of investigation before forwarding the video. Still absolutely amazing and beautiful, however. No embellishment necessary! You are doing good work. Getting our animals (and children) to behave and follow direction with love, not fear, is so important. It contributes to a more peaceful and loving world. Bless you! And thanks for the book recommendation – sounds like a good one.

November 29, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Incredible!! Couldn’t be any more special if you were deaf!

• Patty

December 3, 2012 at 11:39 am

Me too I was puzzled. I was noting I has seen video before and it is an amazing one. But the rest was news to me and glad it isn’t true.

• Cyndee Collins

December 5, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I too am glad for the clarification! It does not take away anything at all at how absolutely amazing you are with horses! I am so in awe of what you do. I haven’t read enough to see if you have any published material but I would love to learn from you. I waited 50 years to get my first horse – I am 63 and I so look forward to working with him. I retire at the end of the year and will have lots of time to spend.

2. Carol Lewis Franklin

September 27, 2011 at 3:20 pm

i cry every time i see
    this video

• Amanda Wicklum

November 28, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I always cry, too. So touching.

• Dianna P

November 30, 2012 at 7:44 am

Me too! I can’t help it, the song just tugs at your heart and the performance is incredible!

• karen anderson

February 27, 2014 at 8:41 pm

This video is so amazing! I cry too! It makes me see what type relationship can be formed between horse and human–if you want it! how smart horses are!

3. Lori Johnstone

October 8, 2011 at 1:04 pm

This message is also circulating in French. I’ve received it twice from francophone friends on Facebook and I took the time to respond, to clarify that you are neither deaf nor mute and to give your name so that they might search for more accurate information about you. Despite the falsehoods that have become attached to it, the video itself is absolutely amazing and takes my breath away every time I see it.

4. Heather

October 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm

This was forwarded to me and was stated that you were deaf and mute….just so you know I quickly corrected the sender and the one that forwarded it to her. She thanked me for letting her know the truth and apologized for forwarding it on. I just told her about your website and blog if she wanted to check you out so she could see for her self. I don’t know why someone would start such a thing. I do love the video and so did my friend that sent it to me, she is not a horse person but truly did love to watch it.

5. Sigrid Brannan

October 8, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Aren’t urban legends an amazing thing? They take on a life of their own and even those that seem positive are still diminishing in an odd way Thanks for clarifying and for sharing your remarkable skills with the world. This video moves me every time I watch it. I can only imagine the hours and hours and tremendous skill and consistency it took to achieve the communication you clearly have with this wonderful horse. You inspire me to keep after my goals with my own horse. (and life!)

6. Ann Barosh

October 9, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I too, cry, every time I see this video. I got so mad when I received it again over the internet, and it was saying Stacy was a deaf mute. I immediately added my comments that this was not true, and forwarded it, also correcting it sending it back to the person that sent it to me.

7. greenaustinrealtor

October 9, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I knew the truth was stretched quite a bit when I saw this going viral accross the Internet again. It’s sad that some people feel the need to do this. Your performance is fabulous without these “add ons” of deaf and mute LOL!!

8. patricia woodruff

October 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Hi Stacy, I was not even worried about the DEAF MUTE part, I am just looking forward to you making a FULL LENGTH MOVIE about you life and how you began your life with horses, after all, Penny Tweedy made a movie about the life of Secretariat and it was very well done. Actually I was working at the Garden State Park Race Track while he was on the grounds and racing. You have thousands of fans and I am one of them so let’s get on with the show!!! Does anyone agree with me? Do you think Stacy making a movie about her life would be a GREAT idea?

• Marilyn Reed

October 14, 2011 at 12:49 pm

ABSOLUTELY, CAN’T WAIT TO SEE IT,WOULD EVEN BUY IT!!!!!!!

• lynda kirkness

December 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Yes I want to see a movie. Please consider it.

• Michelle sessums

November 30, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I sure do love her

• Donna Specht

December 5, 2012 at 11:16 am

Absolutely! Would love to see a movie about Stacy’s life!

• kelly beck

December 6, 2012 at 7:08 am

it would be a GREAT idea <3

9. Judy Mentzer

October 10, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I too received that video from a relative & actually chuckled as I was amazed how the interenet often mimics the old “telephone game” we used to play as kids in changing the truth of stories. I promptly corrected his notion & he was most happy to hear that you were living without those restrictions on your life & hopefully corrected the notion with others as well. Judy Mentzer

10. Carli Heringer

October 12, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I couldn’t help but laugh a little when I read the description of the video! Not because it was funny, but just because it was so inaccurate. Someone has a very large imagination! Where do people come up with this stuff?? How could you be a nationally known clinician if you couldn’t hear or speak? I didn’t even know these claims were being made, but I’m glad you straightened it out. ( =

• Libbyanne

November 29, 2012 at 9:56 am

http://www.deafis.org/faq/doctor.php This is how you can be a nationally known clinician without hearing or speaking :) I’m happy to know Stacy can communicate without the challenges that many Deaf individuals face, but many individuals are coming to this blog to find out if she is in fact Deaf, so before we spread more feathers about limitations placed on Deaf individuals, lets do our research. :)

11. Todd M. Trzcinski

October 23, 2011 at 1:26 am

I can’t believe how quickly the tears well up in my eyes every time I see this.Having survived cancer,a bitter seperation and divorce,and the death of my horse “TANK”,this video has meaning to me that words cannot fully express.

12. Ricki Hinrichs

October 28, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Stacy, I love that 2006 video so much I’ve had it on my desktop for the past couple years and was surprised to see the new ‘deaf and mute’ spin. The beauty of that ride brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it and I’d like to thank you for bringing so many smiles to myself and my friends. I cannot understand why adding ‘deaf and mute’ would make that ride any better.

October 29, 2011 at 10:59 am

Thank you. I don’t know who, or why, that was added. My best guess is because of a spin on ‘communication with out words’ but even that is quite a leap to making me deaf and mute! Imagine what those people who don’t know the truth think when they see me advertised as the guest speaker at an event or selling DVD’s!

• Jayne Galbraith

December 5, 2012 at 9:11 am

People seem to be bored with there own being so the faberication begins. It is those who need to find something to do constructive. Truely An Amazing and Inspiring ride.

• Paula

August 12, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Stacy I just watched this and shared it and I am sorry that someone is spreading a lie STILL. Nonetheless the video was wonderful and it was obvious you and the horse had great communication and understanding regardless. Thank you for having such a love for horses and treating them so well.

• Dana

February 6, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Stacy, that was amazing! i appoligise for posting your video with the false information, however i have corrected it! it is amazing your video and how people can really change things! Love it!

• Joanne

February 28, 2014 at 7:28 pm

All I can say Stacy is that you are an amazing horse women & you know your stuff. I have seen you on other occasions & I love your performances.Your Video of you riding bareback was amazing to watch. The bond you & your horse had was so neat to see. I guess you could tell anyone who seen this back when it happened that it’s a miracle you can talk & hear. It is kinda of funny why this sort of thing happens. Your right though do some research before you believe everything you read. The bond you had with your horse is what I would love to have with mine. I think it may almost be there. I thought we were close until I had to move her to a new place after 15 yrs. in the same place. We have become even closer as we had to count on each other even more. So that is so neat.Thanks for all you do with horses & I love the training of Jack . I have been watching that to see what you do with him in each stage. Very neat. We are always learning as each horse is different. Joanne

• Elaine

June 26, 2012 at 10:00 am

I knew it was all for money, not for her nor the horse but for the people running the show. It doesn’t matter to me how much money people have or use lies to become rich. Rich, in my eyes is peace and love and this video clearing shows peace and love and that’s why I just love it. The lies certainly did not make it any better. I have an 18 year old cat that others have witnessed her intelligence and understanding of love and touch. We all need that and it does not require money. I stay alive because my beautiful cat still lives and wants ‘touch’. This has gone astray with cell phones and texting. Elaine Lajoie

13. Pat Bennett

November 27, 2011 at 5:20 pm

First of all, I really enjoyed the video that was sent to me by a friend. I decided to learn a little more about you and discovered the truth before sending this message on…. I love what you told about Madonna’s book….. As I have always told my children, “it is much easier to tell the truth than to perpetuate a lie,”
    The vision of picking up all those feathers really sends a message

• Valerie Netto

April 26, 2013 at 10:23 am

Interestingly the story about the feathers was taught to me by mother 55 years or so ago. It was in a story from The Unity School, Unity Village in St Louis Mo. So Madonna did not come up with that on her own.

• Valerie Netto

April 26, 2013 at 10:31 am

Madonna’s version is a variation of an old story. Not that it matters. And the video is still phenomenal. Stacy you are an inspiration to all, and a huge asset to the horse industry. I am proud to have you representing us women!

14. Bill Taylor

December 1, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Stacy, I was sent your video and after watching it with tears in my eyes, did a little search to find out about you. I am glad you can hear and speak and hope you do both often, but not too much that your husband acts deaf or mute :) Thank you for the beauty of this video and of the others I’ve found on line of you.

15. Greg Beavens

December 9, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Stacy ! I liked your riding the first time I seen it ! Why would someone put you down like that ? You know you inspired me with that ride ! My Girlfriend We have 2 arabians ,2 mustangs ,and a quarter horse ! I was married been around horses all my life ! I watch that video I am doing something special for her next year ! I am having a donation benefit to A rescue and retraining and rehomeing of horses on her birthday! She Loves her horses ! Trust me ! Well Stacy her dad died on her birthday ! They had to cancel her birthday party! So everyone I want to make this the Best party in the world ! Every one is welcome all money goes to the rescue ! Her one horse was
    shot called Witten ! So I came up with this from you Stacy ! Witten is ok! Just rode him the other day! Looks Like I got 33 horses so far ;) I set the day all are coming ! Thanks for giving me the insprision no joke ! You like my girl trust me ! Thanks Greg

16. Kay

January 7, 2012 at 3:08 pm

You are an example of perfection indeed! Sorry about those nasty rumors about being deaf. You are so close to perfection and have little boys to prove it. I know the boys will be trained to be successful like you, because you put your heart into everything you do. I so admire YOU!

17. Sofia

February 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Hey, i have to.. the video is awesome. But thats not why im writing here. “How could you be a well known clinician if you were deaf and mute?” I want to reply to those comments: The same way someone speaking a different language would! With a translator! There is such a thing as sign language, sure, involving a translator with slow the communication down but people – you’re watching a girl ride a welltrained horse bareback and bridleless.. and still can’t see how someone deaf and mute can communicate?

18. Robyn Truax

February 10, 2012 at 8:48 am

What a BEAUTIFUL mare!!! I was so entranced by her form that it took me a while to get into the performance. My condolences on your loss, but in this case, I can certainly see where you would be of the “better to have loved and lost” camp!
    Only the good die young! Love Robyn (a horse lover, too)

19. Mary Sue Faries

April 28, 2012 at 6:26 pm

What a tremendous loss it would be for all of us if the “mute” claim were true!! I attended most all of your clinics at the Columbus OH Equine Affaire and you are truly blessed with the gift of verbal communication!! Adding little snippets of personal stories and humor in your presentations really captivates your audience and, therefore, more people are reached with your awesome message of respect for these beautiful creatures!

20. Erin/IAm

May 2, 2012 at 9:27 am

Love that you brought this up…I Am not either, either, but I do like to use ‘Sign’ in communicating with animals because of the expressive body language it brings out in the human, while suppressing their usual need to raise voices. Works nice across a field, too. Just think…You probably caught a market of horse lovers that no one else bothered with till now(?).

You made history with that video, Girl…How verrry cool is that?!?:D Blessed be, Roxie…You really should make a movie about “The Baby Doll”…She’s part of that history making, yes? And she didn’t need to be a War Horse, or a racing phenom…just a partner in Life101.

Sendin’ the love to you & yours…Good Journey!:)

21. Vicky Edwards

May 7, 2012 at 11:21 am

Never believed it for a minute Stacy, the deaf/mute thing. Just shook my head when I heard the “rumor”. People, gesh…They say anything, and whats worse is, people believe what they hear, or read. The internet is so full of truth isnt it, and so amazing…lol

22. Warner Trest

May 31, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Stacy, you are truly gifted!

23. cheryl graham

July 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

What a load of sh*t! Stacey is an amazing and truly GIFTED horsewoman. However she is NOT MUTE or DEAF, and neither has she been riding for 3 weeks. It annoys me so much that this can be passed around to millions of people untruthfully, true horse people will know as soon as they see the video that this is nonsense ,give them and Stacy some credit.

24. Krist Johnson

July 19, 2012 at 6:47 am

I know you are not deaf nor mute, but I do have to say that every time I watch this video it brings tears to my eyes. Being that I lost my dad from cance in 99 and my mom to cancer in 2009 and the face my first love was horses. This just gives me chills. You are amazing! I can only hope to be a horseman (woman) like you one day!

25. Jessica Moore

September 4, 2012 at 11:34 am

I received this video from my mom who got it from someone else. I am a certified American Sign Language Interpreter, have been for 14 years. I become upset at people who are ignorant saying Deaf Mute. Deaf people are NOT mute. They can talk, and make noise with their voice. No one removes a Deaf persons’ vocal cords.
    For Carli Heringer who said “How could you be a nationally known clinician if you couldn’t hear or speak?” and for others who may not know, Deaf people can do anything but hear. There are lots of Deaf people who ride horses, (I have seen them, they train horses ect) are doctors-yes! as in M.D as in surgeons. They have PhD’s, Master degrees. That is why there are interpreters. The Deaf person uses ASL and the interpreter becomes their voice when needed.
    When I first saw this video I totally believed that Stacy was Deaf. I found out she wasn’t because I went on a search to find out where the term “mute” had been added to educate people that this is not true and is a very rude thing to say.
    I found out here that is she not! Good grief. Why do people find the need to embellish on such a talented person?

• Kim

November 29, 2012 at 10:51 am

Well Said!

26. carla fortina

September 14, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I THRILLED 2@ THE 2006 “LIVE LIKE YOU RE DYING” VERSION REPEATEDLY A N D THEN
    NOTICED STACY USING SIGN LANGUAGE @ THE BEGINNING… PERHAPS T H A T S WHY SOME ONE EARLY ON ASSUMED WRONGLY… I THOUGHT WOW THAT HORSE HAS A WONDERFUL SENSE OF TIMING WITH THE MUSIC ! & STACY IS A M A Z I N G !!!! MY HEART OPENS EACH TIME I VIEW THIS……& AGAIN WHEN I THINK OF THE APPRECIATIVE PEOPLE I’VE SENT IT TO. THANK YOU 4 THE INSPIRATION & TO TIM MCGRAW 4 THE GREAT SONG STUCK IN THE BACK OF MY MIND OFTEN !!!

27. carla 14A

September 14, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I THRILLED 2@ THE 2006 “LIVE LIKE YOU RE DYING” VERSION REPEATEDLY A N D THEN,
    NOTICED STACY USING SIGN LANGUAGE @ THE BEGINNING..AS THE TITLE IS DISPLAYED…CORRECT? PERHAPS T H A T S WHY SOME ONE EARLY ON ASSUMED WRONGLY… I THOUGHT WOW THAT HORSE HAS A WONDERFUL SENSE OF TIMING WITH THE MUSIC ! & STACY IS A M A Z I N G !!!! MY HEART OPENS EACH TIME I VIEW THIS……& AGAIN WHEN I THINK OF THE APPRECIATIVE PEOPLE I’VE SENT IT TO. THANK YOU 4 THE INSPIRATION & THE CONFIDENCE YOU DISPLAY & REMIND ME I CAN HAVE CONFIDENCE TOO & TO TIM MCGRAW 4 THE GREAT SONG STUCK IN THE BACK OF MY MIND OFTEN !!! I LOVE BOTH

28. Kebgal

September 26, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I crossed over Ocean from Europe and I was lucky enough to attend her wonderful demonstration with Can Can Lena if I remember the name of the horse. A wonderful Horsewoman full of grace and finesse. A winner at Road To The Horse

29. Beverly Knight

November 28, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I saw this on facebook and forwarded it to my brother who is deaf. He was the one that said you weren’t deaf. I wondered when it said “deaf mute” a term that is rarely if ever used in the deaf community any more. It is an amazing performance anyway. Thanks!

30. tracy

November 28, 2012 at 3:38 pm

A very stressed horse indeed!Hence all the tongue&tail flicking!Why did you have to kick the poor horse to make it bow?Not a good video at all!!!Im sure you will only delete this though so it will only remain as a wonderful tribute to you.Once again all about the humans kudos with little thought to the horse!!!

• Alice

December 5, 2012 at 11:24 am

Tracy, it is better to stay quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Your post shows your lack of experience with horses. Tongue licking indicates the horse is listening to the trainer. Tail wringing is NOT always negative– it can be a sign of enthusiasm, as Popcorn demonstrates in Stacy’s video of him playing in the mud, tail swishing wildly. I feel sorry for whatever has hurt you so that you would post such a nasty comment.

• Laura Scott

December 11, 2013 at 10:04 am

Thanks for saving me the trouble of explaining, Alice! Tracy obviously has never had any experience with horses.

• Joshua Graça

December 5, 2012 at 11:31 am

Obviously you know nothing about horses. I’ve grown up around horses, and watched them play with each other, and that tongue licking and tail flicking means happy. The horse was enjoying the ride. And as for the kicking, the amount of pressure applied by Stacy’s foot is about the equivalent to tapping your shoulder for a horse. Learn a bit about horses before you go criticizing riders.

• Kenady

December 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Your lack of experience with horses shows greatly in that comment. It was definetly uncalled for. I’m 15 & know better than to comment something like that, especially if I know nothing of the subject.

• Joan

December 6, 2012 at 8:50 am

Tracy. Have you met Stacy? I had the privilege of attending a clinic with her. It was a life changing weekend for me. She has more compassion for animals and humans then anyone I have ever met. I will never forget my time with her and the opportunity to meet her whole wonderful family. I believe she is truly one of the kindest people I know. I hope you get to know her yourself.

• Chad

December 9, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Your funny Tracy, and obviously know nothing of horse riding, or horses themselves. Here is a link to help you in your learning experiance: http://www.horse-training-basics.com/horse-body-language.html

• Christi Upson

December 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I’m sure others have replied to your post that the horse is not stressed. The tongue licking is a “thought process” result, not stress. (Also noticed that Stacy said she’d been giving the mare peppermints prior to the ride) Tail flicking can be a stress indicator, but, you’ll notice it only happens on the back from the slide. Most horses do not like to back, but do it anyway. Very sorry you didn’t enjoy the video as most people did that understand horse training, or, just beautiful riding.

• Shimmerwing

December 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm

ooooooooh, Tracy. What an unhappy person you must be to have made such a comment. Are you really unhappy, or are you jealous? This is a nasty comment from you in more ways than one. The ride was beautifully executed by both rider and horse. IMHO you owe an apology, BIG TIME, not only to Ms. Westfall AND her horse, but to people who have read your caustic remarks. Remarks like these are intended to hurt, and therefore are not needed. I hope you are ashamed of yourself. I also hope you are big enough to apologize to Ms. Westfall…..though I doubt you are.

• Anna

August 10, 2013 at 12:41 pm

before being so critical, maybe you should research the topic first. I’m not a professional trainer, just a life long horse person, but I know the licking and chewing is not a sign of stress, but a sign of willingness to comply to what’s being asked. Check up on horse body language. And there is a vast difference between a tap to a foreleg and a kick. Do you need glasses?

• Peggy Reimer

October 17, 2013 at 2:41 am

As a horse trainer, I had to respond to “Tracy’s” post. This horse was not stressed, or it would not have responded to the cues and would have fully rebelled with no bridle or saddle on. This horse and human obviously have a terrific personal bond of love and respect for each other, or this no-equipment ride would not have been possible. You are clueless about horse (or any animal) training if you think those little cueing bumps were some sort of horrible kicking abuse! And in response to your comment about the “…tongue and tail flicking…” A horse moves it’s mouth, tongue, and jaw when they are feeling acquiescence to the requests of a human. Tail switching is often a normal thing for a highly-trained & sensitive horse that is enjoying what it is doing as well. Some people are WAY to fluffy about horses. Horses are not puppies and kitties. Do some research…Get a grip. Stacy is a truly talented and caring horse trainer that with patience and love and respect for the horse, able to work with it and convince it to do amazing things! All you have shown anyone who works with horses, is how ignorant you are…seriously…read up on horse behavior and training! As an aside, you must be an unhappy and sad little person to post such a nasty and negative comment.

31. Kim Dickinson

November 28, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I also have been correcting people who have posted the link with this description. Credit should be given where credit is due. One thing that was put in that false description did make me chuckle though. How on earth does a deaf and mute girl possibly pick out a song when she can’t hear it?

32. Ginny Kerr

November 28, 2012 at 4:49 pm

The riding and the relationship with the horse is real… that’s more than good enough for me!

33. Karen Stubbsy Stubbs

November 28, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Stacey, even if you were a deaf mute, a person who can ride a horse like you do and be totally at one together is amazing. I saw you were using your body to control the horse and there are not many that can do that with speach and and full tack! Hats off to you – you have a special gift.

34. Dixie McClinchey

November 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Never even read it, just watched the vid of you and CRIED like a baby!! What a beautiful thing! Have been reposting it as: We. Are. One.
    Can certainly sympathize with NOT wanting to hear the kids sometimes!! LOL Amazing Video!!

35. Len Ellis

November 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Wether Stacy had any disabilities at all or not doesn’t matter. She did an outstanding job of guiding this horse. She’s riding with nothing…just as if she seen the horse in the field and climbed up on him…guiding him by pulling on his man or tapping him on the side…She was able to guide the horse through trust, love, and above all…RESPECT….goes to show respect goes a long way…\m/

36. missfaye

November 29, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Very strange that the Internet would say that you are Deaf and Mute when you are not!! I hope that people realize that “Deaf” and “Mute” are two mutually exclusive things… one can be Deaf without being Mute, and one can be Mute without being Deaf… also “Deaf and Dumb” is so 1800’s! Deaf people are not dumb…. and Mute people are not dumb either. (the term “dumb” used to mean “mute”). *sigh*! But wow amazing video of you riding the horse like that! My friend just asked me if she thought it was really possible to ride a horse like that… I don’t see why not!

37. Rusty Woodbury

November 29, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I had met a girl named stacy a few years back, I had a ranch in michigan, and she came for a visit.
    She was in fact deaf.
    Then i was sent your video, just today, by someone who had also met her.
    I , in my happiness that she had gone soo far posted it on a forum i belong to.
    Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be you, and not her…(not dissapointment, just several layers of egg on my face)
    You are amazing, and I cried when I saw that video..
    The role you play in showing what can be acomplished, is a great thing to share…
    The girl I met is indeed still raising Quarter horses, and her acomplishemnts are amazing too…
    I just want to thank you for opening my eyes, and reminding me once again, to do my homework…

38. Sheila Westphal

November 29, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Stacy, I loved the video and didn’t think you were deaf but the video is amazing. I have been following you for years. I have 2 young granddaugthers that are avid horsewomen. Oh by the way our last name is Westphal

39. Morgan

November 30, 2012 at 4:56 am

I have seen this video before.. and now that it has come around again I kinda chuckled with how the story had changed! You are an amazing rider with such grace. I am sorry that people have blotted your name with this. (Though most people who are deaf pretty much don’t talk so I think its odd that someone would combine deaf and mute.. ) :) I look forward to reading your blog a little and hear of your adventures. There is always something to learn for other horsewomen! Morgan

• Peter Murphy

January 16, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Where did you get the notion that “…most people who are deaf pretty much don’t talk…”? I know plenty of deaf people who are positive chatter boxes. Most people (probably people like you) just don’t take the time to listen to them because their speech is sometimes difficult to understand. The second part of your sentence,”so I think its [sic] odd that someone would combine deaf and mute”, is equally insensitive. Being mute myself, I find your remarks to be in poor taste. I would rather converse with my horse, who has been listening to me for quite some time now. And, Stacy, there are ways to permanently remove this video from the Internet if you truly want to get it removed. Just sayin’.

40. Angie Ethridge

November 30, 2012 at 9:31 am

Why do people do this? I mean what you and that horse were doing was amazing in itself. I really was not fazed by the part that you was deaf and mute. I just thought to myself….”you go girl”. Why do people have to dramatize everything to make it seem better when its good enough or great in the first place? LOL

41. Lynnae Schloneger

November 30, 2012 at 10:38 am

Stacey….love you girl! The video with the deaf mute girl story is circulating again on facebook! Wish people would research first!

42. chichihlk

November 30, 2012 at 11:09 am

Stacy, your ride is amazing! But as a Sign Language Interpreter for the Deaf in Columbus, Ohio (hello, neighbor!) I just wanted to share with you that the term “Mute” when referring to Deaf folks is both incorrect and offensive. “Mute” refers to the physical or sometimes psychological inability to speak. When someone loses their hearing- that does not affect their vocal chords in any way. Therefore, they CAN produce sounds. Profoundly Deaf folks often don’t sound like hearing folks when speaking but they CAN make vocal noises. The old term “Deaf and Dumb” was SUPER offensive but the term mute is also offensive.

(I can’t believe it’s 2012 and that term is still out there! ugh!) I know you didn’t start any of this Deaf/not deaf nonsense but I just thought you might want to know the correct terminology and maybe you could correct people when it comes up.

Thank you so much and your ride was amazing!! Very touching to watch.

December 5, 2012 at 6:56 am

Hello Neighbor! You can rest assured that I had nothing to do with adding the terms to the video and theirfore have no control over the terms that someone chose to use…If I could stop the terms and the circulating video I would! I tried stoping it over a year ago when it first came up but as the feather pillow illustration in the book describes it has gone out of control….because as you know everything you read online is true!lol, ;)

43. Dianna

December 1, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Hi, Stacy, a blogger friend of mine shared this video yesterday. Here’s a link to her post: http://theviewouthere.com/. I found your blog when another friend posted the link on her FB page, and it was the one stating the deaf/mute part., so I researched to find out for sure. The video is amazing!

44. Jennifer

December 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Hey Stacy , yep its me again , that video has just showed up everywhere again… You should be getting more hits again… I am glad you can talk and not def, cause when we get together I am ever so happy to make you wish u was def.. haha.. Have a great Christmas, Oh Yea will you be at RTH 2013 would love to see you again…

• Donna

December 2, 2012 at 12:01 am

YEP now she is no longer 20 but has rode the horse 20 days LOL POOR Stacy! Lets just say I got a lottle P O ed when my S.O. shared this video!

Donna Artechi Perry
      November 24
      Nov 24, 2012 12:17am
      Girl on Horseback

— with Jessica Santa Cruz and 3 others.
      327,387Share

December 5, 2012 at 6:50 am

this crazy rumor just keeps growing!

• William R. Shears

December 5, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Every time I come across a (re-)post of this old video from a decade ago on Facebook, I comment with a correction about the “deaf-mute” error and post a link to the Westfall website so people can educate themselves. The skill is amazing enough without the trainer’s fictional handicap added.

45. L Neri

December 2, 2012 at 8:30 am

Loved watching that championship ride Stacy. So beautiful to see it.:).

46. Kathleen Lindsey

December 2, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Hi Stacy, I have had three friends spread this deaf mute video in the past 2 days. I didn’t think it was true because I saw this video several years ago and had to look you up ;-)
    I did a quick search and let my friends know you’re okay, and an awesome horse trainer!

47. Amy Stamschror

December 2, 2012 at 8:21 pm

You are my hero and Roxy was an amazing mare, so sad she has passed. I cry each and every time I see this video and dream I could ever be this talented. My wish, my goal, is to someday be this good. Thank you for sharing your God given talents with the world.

48. Sharon williams

December 2, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Hi just wanted to say i loved the video and think you have an amazing skill with horses and I’m sire your dad is so proud of you xx

49. Ellen Rowes

December 2, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I love the video, breathtaking whether you are deaf or not. However, I object to the term deaf-mute. I know you may not have written that. It is a very derogatory term. Deaf/deaf people prefer deaf or hard of hearing.

50. Kim

December 2, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Funny how things get started. I’m guessing that the first part of the video where you are using some hand signals was enough to get it started. It was an amazing video, deaf or not deaf, and you are an amazing rider and trainer.

51. Susan Jordan

December 4, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I, too, love this video and watched it after having just come back from Mexico and riding a mustang that was simply amazing. I am not sure why folks feel they have to embellish it by describing you as deaf and mute, but I reposted just the video after I watched the Ellen show and saw that you are actually very capable of speaking and hearing. Still – very amazing. I am sorry you lost her but I know how lucky you were to have her in your life.

52. Susan Jordan

December 4, 2012 at 10:33 pm

PS – Lots of folks in CA would love for you to visit but I don’t see anything on the website about coming out here. Let us know if you have any plans to be out here.

53. Barnmaven

December 5, 2012 at 10:11 am

My father in law had posted that link on his facebook page. I responded, letting him know that it wasn’t all true. How sad that someone felt that they needed to embellish that video with a falsehood to make it seem more poignant. I’ve watched the video of that ride many times with a sense of amazement, grief and wonderment. No embellishment required.

54. Don fischer

December 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Deaf-mute of otherwise, that was just incredible!

55. morhpeous

December 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Thank you for being you. it is so beautiful to experience your relationship with your horses. I went out with a woman for a while who had a similar relationship with her three horses. It gave a me a fresh perspective on horses as great teachers and reminder of what is really important in life;)

56. Ruth C Messare

December 5, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Stacy, I saw that FB post on my news feed about you being a ” deaf mute”….it was your awesome ride on Roxy that was posted along with those comments. I can not remember who posted it,but at the time I thought “How STUPID ! ” and I was about to refute it too, I’m sorry I did not as I thought who ever sent it was rather ignorant , I’m so sorry this has happened. If I see it again I will refute it. Love & blessings to you and your family !

57. Helen

December 6, 2012 at 1:33 am

Gosh, what an incredible rider you are! While watching the – yes, emotional – video, I was thinking of how excellent a rider you must be, and that you must have core muscles of STEEL! Thanks for clarifying the story – and I love the Mr Peabody story – I might have to use that in the future myself.
    Happy hello’s and festive wishes from Cape Town, South Africa

58. Anne Iben Lestern

December 6, 2012 at 10:21 am

This is the video I saw, it brought tears to my eyes, fantastic girl and horse.
    Many greetings from Greece <3

59. Jerri White

December 6, 2012 at 11:23 am

The video hit my Facebook this morning. I have several family members who are deaf, but before I sent it on to them, I googled you, and here I am! I admit I am a tad disappointed to know it was not accurate, but oh my, what a lovely horse and ride, and dedication. I cried. Partly due to the deaf connection, but mostly because the relationship shown between person and animal was just so touching. Congratulations on your abilities!!

60. Maggie Hicks

December 6, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Stacy what a beautiful God given gift you were given plus your Father also had a large part in teaching you that gift. So sorry for your loss. My grandson is nonverbal,autistic, cerebral palsy, with a bunch of other health issues. He does Equine Therapy along with all his other therapies under one roof called Leg Up Farm in Mt Wolf PA. He started saying more words when he got on this one Mare named Dot that they say has a bond with the nonverbal children. He looks forward every Monday for his lesson with Miss Steph his instructor and his side walkers and lead person. He now says Dot, trot and he is tapping twice to go. He does say come on but not consistent and whoa but that too is not consistent. I go every Monday to watch. I cried the first time he said a word. To many ppl take things for granted in life. But it is amazing the bond a horse and a child like my grandson can have. Thanks for such a beautiful video. It was posted by a clients mom where he goes to therapy. Keep up your awesome work. God Bless
    Maggie Hicks

61. Sammy

December 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Who cares if you’re deaf/mute or not! Its still beautiful! I watched the video out of love for horses and the things they can do, no disrespect but it wasn’t to see a deaf/mute accomplish something “unheard of”. What you did with that horse just proves that are intelligent animals and boy was he pretty out there. People think they are just dumb animals but horses are smarter than people give them credit for. Kudos to you for having a heart of gold!! Horses can sense bad/good people and from the way you pet Roxy and patted her back just proves you have a huge heart.

62. Karyn

December 6, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Absolutely an incredible video..you obviously have a very special bond with your horse. Horses are beautiful & graceful animals to watch and your video was very heartwarming. Would love to see more videos &/or a movie with your talents.God Bless!

63. Karen Campbell

December 6, 2012 at 9:33 pm

maybe Stacy can contact facebook about it, here is a link to the original post with 437,654 shares.
    the people who start these things are only in it to get the shares/likes because they get paid for it

64. Crissy Georgelas

December 6, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Regardless, You are one of the most amazing people I know. What you did with that horse was beautiful. Thank you both!!!

65. Sandra J Yanez

December 7, 2012 at 7:04 am

This false story still going around, was just posted in my Facebook, I posted your story telling the through, thanks for this page, I still find you amazing…..

66. Pauline

December 7, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Thanks for the clarification! I am guilty of sharing this inaccuracy on Facebook and had the correction pointed out by a friend. Wonderful video anyway, I was absolutely riveted, and shame on anyone who interprets it as cruelty to the horse. There is clearly a wonderful and subtle communication there and the horse is working willingly and with pleasure too I think.

67. Angela Marshall

December 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I very much enjoyed the video, and I have never seen you ride before! After the video it gave a link to your page. I checked it out and in seconds found out the words may not be true, but it doesnt make anything less amazing. On your page there were comments about how stressed the horse was because it was licking and chewing….. I couldnt stop laughing at them. I saw that some comments had been hurtful, and sorry you are dealing with it all. Just remember the accomplishments and that they can only be jealous!!!

68. Peter

December 7, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Stacy, well I am mute, not deaf, but I can’t speak. I also loved to ride and I could tell from the video that you and your horse were “talking”. A friend sent me the video believing the “deaf and mute” angle. I still appreciate their intentions, but wanted to clear things up. Anyway, real nice ride! Wish I could’ve seen it. Be well

69. Tasha

December 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I have JUST watched that video and I made sure I checked, because I wasn’t quite sure and I didn’t want to spread false info around.

70. Brenda

December 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Stacy We all just got around to seeing but I have to admit you would so be able to teach this method to the deaf and or mute for sure… I wish you all the best and we all need mentors in our lives and your Father would be so proud of you…. May he smile down on you from time to time. Bless your heart for showing the rest of us you’ll never know unless you try…

71. Diana McDargh

December 8, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I have no respect for someone who would create such lies. People are searching for heartfelt truths in a world full of pain and lies as it is, and this is a big let down. You should be ashamed of yourself. Just running the video with the truth would have been beautiful as you do have a way with the horse. But the lies took it all away.

72. Ron

December 8, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Stacy, for being a deaf mute you sure can talk up a storm during your clinics…….lol

December 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm

REALLY good voice over team…that is the trick, lol

73. SQ

December 9, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I watched this on my phone so didn’t even read the details (deaf etc). I was bawling even without that stuff!!

74. Mieke

December 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Dear Stacy, the crazy caption also appeared in Dutch, just saw that on Facebook today. I sent the author of that caption a message to point out his information was incorrect, with a link to you on Wikipedia. ;-) How I knew? I saved this video years ago on my YouTube playlist “Amazing Horse Video’s”, and just can’t stop watching it. :) Keep doing what you are doing!

75. dawn mcleod

December 10, 2012 at 8:59 am

76. Elizabeth

December 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I’m sorry the story that was told with your video had lies attached to it. I was still brought to tears while watching it. I know your daddy is proud of you. May God bless you and your family in this Christmas season.

77. BigMike

December 12, 2012 at 8:44 am

I just saw the (false) FB post and was amazed by your riding and saw the Westfall Horsemanship banner and came to your web site. My wife has been riding for the past 9 years or so and has an Irish Sport-horse. I posted the video on her FB page directly from Youtube without all of the false information. Hopefully that will take off and be shared without the misinformation. Also, I did comment on the original (false) FB post correcting it. Keep up the great work!

78. Kirsty

December 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Never mind deaf and mute, are you all blind? Can’t you see what the horse is telling you in this video? The constant licking, signifying continual submission, the ears back, and the tail switching, all show how unhappy and anxious this horse is. Certainly, she’s well trained and obedient, but from what I see here, it is not a bond of trust.

December 18, 2012 at 3:21 pm

What does a happy horse look like?

• Tami

August 8, 2013 at 6:02 am

Wow Kirsty came full force out of negative left field huh? Jealousy was definitely what NOT what you inspired in me when I saw the video. Maybe she has never ridden a horse? I don’t see how she could have mistaken that display for anything but mutual respect and love being in the spotlight. I just watched another friend who had video taped a horse actually swinging his head and moving his mouth as if singing “dancing” to a popular song on the radio. No one was riding or showing him. He was in his stall, eyes netted(for flies–etc) just going with the beat. Seemed as if this horse too enjoyed the music and the show…I recently found out that my grandma was from the Nez Perce Indian tribe. I didn’t find out until I was in my 30’s but this confirmed my love of horses and you your show just inspired my longing to own and ride some day. Your are inspirational.

• Robin J.

December 23, 2012 at 12:57 am

Okay, so are you telling me you can ride your horse in a an arena surrounded by people and noise without a saddle and bridle? The only way that can happen is if you and your horse are partners, members of the same “herd” so to speak and the horse wants to be with you and follow you! That takes volumes of trust! Something that takes time and compassion, not cruelty. I am a veterinarian and I have seen people who are impatient only add more contraptions – tie-downs, harsher bits, etc. to get a horse to do something where a little more training and knowledge of a horse’s natural behavior could produce better results. A horse without a saddle or bridle is only listening to the body language of the rider. She could easily spook and run away, but she does not! Why? I think you could learn a lot from Stacy. Instead of judging her, educate yourself.

• Nancy

April 26, 2013 at 4:11 pm

A lot of times ears back signifies the horse listening to the rider.

July 1, 2013 at 12:24 pm

True!

• Valerie Netto

July 3, 2013 at 10:08 am

That was an odd comment. One of those “it’s what you learn after you know it all that counts” kind of moments.

• Valerie Netto

July 3, 2013 at 10:10 am

• Anna

August 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I see very clearly what the horse is telling me in the video. The ears back are listening to Stacy’s requests. I say requests and not commands because the mare is showng she is willing with the licking and chewing. Please read up on horse body language before being critical. It’s obvious you are not well informed about horses.

79. Kathy Hutchison

December 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm

You wanted to know if someone had the link to the latest lie on Fb… I don’t know if this is what your looking for but here is a copy of the link: I hope this helps you… https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10151247520933901&set=vb.636868900&type=2&theater

80. Debbie Davies

December 17, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Donna Artechi Perry
    November 24
    Nov 24, 2012 4:17pm
    Girl on Horseback

A deaf-mute girl on a horse that she has ridden for only THREE weeks!!, not to mention the song she picked out to dedicate to her deceased father! Listen to the announcer’s voice crack! The horse she is riding is not even hers; she is training it for a client and has had it only 20 days at the time of the ride shown here. Note that she rides without a saddle or halter and bit and (obviously) without voice commands. She is using the method used by North American Indians. When you think your voice can’t be heard I want each of you to watch this Video. She has no voice. She cannot hear. Yet she has persevered and achieved! Thought you all would enjoy this — with Casey LynnCampbell, Brian Coghill, Lisa Santa Cruz and Jessica Santa Cruz.

6 people like this.
    482,373 shares
    N 482,373 shares

81. Debbie Davies

December 17, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Hello Stacy, i found this on facebook, i hope it helps

82. Jaime

December 24, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I too have defended Stacy to several people too that are circulating this video. I had to snicker as you can clearly see her talking to someone outside the gate. LOL REALLY people? I even kindly told someone just tonight that she is indeed not deaf and not mute and that she had been riding this horse for years…only to make the person angry. :/ Regardless, Stacy…I think you are amazing!!!!

83. ChyPacas

January 31, 2013 at 6:45 am

Reblogged this on ChyPacas and commented:
    Despite riding as a kid I’ve always been scared of riding horses. My sister rode and we had a beautiful arab as kids. But I rode him age 4 (we were both 4 as he was born weeks before me). The first person to ride him. Watching this I want to overcome my fear through love and gentleness. Thanks Stacey this is amazing.

84. Amanda M

February 1, 2013 at 3:11 am

Hey Stacey, this is a posting from a local spa in Kelowna, BC Canada. I am a little upset to see that they are advertising this in their “adored friends” section on their website. Even the championship location is incorrect. http://www.kelownaspa.ca/stacey-the-horse-whisperer.html states that you are deaf, a mute, and that it was done in Popkum BC. Rediculous…

85. christine horn

April 15, 2013 at 9:03 am

The story did not detract at all from the ride…it was amazing and a pleasure to watch. You have a true gift…

86. Jacqueline Parks

April 19, 2013 at 8:15 am

Either way your video is inspiring. What gain would there be to make up such a story? I am confused. I did cry when I watched you, but knowing now somebody made up the story is pathetic.

87. Sherry

April 20, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I fell in love with horses all over again when I saw this video, you are a special lady. Thank you for what you do.

88. Nancy

April 26, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Love your run, cry every time. I knew the deaf mute was wrong cause I saw you at equine affaire, did a clinic on bowing, and my horse now bows, thank you very much!
    I like your method much better than the old carrot between the legs.

89. nicki.hale@facebook.com

June 22, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I knew you weren’t but yes the rumor goes on!

90. Kimberly

June 29, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Hi Stacey! Must be rotten to be incorrecsotly portrayed as deaf or mute, but really, good grief, PLEASE make some training videos!! You are amazing! I’m sorry you lost your Dad and I also love that song! I lost my only child, my son,Jesse, so I feel that I need to truely live for both of us now, and I feel most alive when on my horses, as I’m sure you do as well…Thanks for this video,!!! Like alot of the comments, it brought me to tears!

91. Joyce Carlson

July 30, 2013 at 5:26 am

Obviously you were not deaf/mute… you are speaking and listening to the people around you at the very beginning of the video. I also appears you are speaking to your horse during the performance. The other trigger that alerted me that this was a rumor, how can you have not written the horse in THREE WEEKS, yet you only been training the horse for TWENTY DAYS. Hmmmm. Regardless… it WAS as AWESOME and heartfelt performance!!

92. Anna

August 10, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I love this video Stacy. Anytime I need a pick-me-up I watch it. It is so inspirational. I would love for my horses to be as responsive as Roxy. So sorry she passed.

93. Eunice Amdahl

August 17, 2013 at 11:22 pm

It is stil making the rounds on facebook.

94. Brian

August 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Additional embellishment has also been added that you had only been riding the horse for three weeks?

95. Robert Smith

September 1, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Stacy, I just saw this on facebook and wrote a reply to this guy, disputing his allegations of deaf, mute and 20 days. Naturally I received no reply. I had seen the original video and was touched by your and Roxie’s performance shortly before you attended the 2010 Reining Championships in Kentucky, I think that was the year. I remembered you doing some speaking at that time and also noticed, if you were deaf, you didn’t seem to be. I have trained enough horses to appreciate what you accomplished with Roxie. I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Every horse I have trained are very special to me, they are my friends and I never forget them. It’s to bad they don’t live as long as turtles or elephants or parrots. But that’s how life is. I learned how to train from a fellow from Ohio, who was born in 1861 and was influenced by a horse training celebrity to the King of England, who died at the age of 39. I to have been called a “horse whisperer”. Keep on training Stacy, you have the talent and love your work. I think everyone loves your work. Oh, your story with Roxie and the ride is good enough without all the lies. I think anyone would be pleased to have a ride like yours as an accomplishment.

Robert

96. Monica

September 27, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I’m glad you aren’t deaf or mute for the very reason nothing can hold you back from the relationship you obviously have with horses. Though we like to know someone has overcome difficulties its nice to know that you didn’t have to in order to present your performance. I am sorry for the loss of your father, he would have been proud and he would have been proud at your honesty and integrity at setting the record straight.
    Monica

97. Randi Lorber

October 4, 2013 at 7:10 pm

everytime I see the post I cant help but correct them.. I respect you so much as a horseman, and I dont feel that it needs any more “bling” to make what you do with this horse incredible.

98. Linda Henry

October 12, 2013 at 6:27 am

I am very sorry so many people think it is a put down to be deaf. Not you Stacy but people responding. Your riding is beyond spectacular but being deaf is not a put down. Communicating with a horse has nothing to do with the person being deaf or mute. Found this whole blog weird. I work with special needs people and was rather offended by some comments.

99. Mattea B

October 18, 2013 at 10:04 am

I knew it wasn’t true and I have known that for AGES. It gets me really ticked off when people say this and yes, I do send them some nasty-grams saying this is is not true. :P I mean, COME ON. If you watch any video of your rides, you can clearly see you having a conversation with another person. Jeez.

100. Mattea B

October 18, 2013 at 10:09 am

One more thing, reading the above comments…who’s Tracy?

101. Beth Moon

October 26, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I’m always correcting people when they forward the video to me, it was an amazing ride & you are an awesome trainer, no need to embelish the story when it’s already so great!

102. Andrea

October 30, 2013 at 10:59 pm

What kind of tying up area do you use for breaking a horse to stand tied?

October 31, 2013 at 1:00 pm

We tie them in their stalls. You will see all the work I do with Jac before I tie. Horse must trot on line easy, I pony them, etc. and if I suspect there could be issues I throw a rope over the wall and tie it off so I could untie or cut if needed but the prep makes it unnecessary.

103. Andrea

October 30, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I love the poem you recited on your video. I found it very touching. Do you know who wrote it?

October 31, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Unknown….I have tried to find it.

104. Kathleen Thomas

November 8, 2013 at 6:42 am

Stacy! YOUR VIDEO is the best thing I have seen on UTUBE or the INternet EVER! I am sharing with my high school students in Delaware today. YOu are an amazing young woman and I know you can do anything you set your mind to do in this world. I will watch your video whenever I am feeling gloomy or sad. It is just the best performance ever. If they do make a movie about you, I will be the first in line to see it and buy it! YOU GO GIRL!

105. J2B

November 15, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I got tickled not to long ago a girl posted this on FB and I joked that I had visited very briefly with you when you did a demo at a barrel race in Waco TX couple yrs ago and you were the most articulate deaf mute girl I have ever met. The poster wanted to argue, people love sensationalism. This run is sensational enough on it’s own.

November 15, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Lol, last weekend someone walked up to me at Equine Affaire and made gestures to me while laughing….I declared that I was miraculously healed for the weekend. I guess if I can’t stop it, we can at least have fun with it. It is just scary that if it were something really bad and you couldn’t stop it…it could really hurt!

That Waco trip was fun. Does that event still happen?

• Peter Murphy

November 15, 2013 at 8:30 pm

This fallacious post has been around for more than one year, can’t we drop it and let it go? I know Stacy is an accomplished rider and, she does wonderful work with disabled kids- I am certain she must be tired of this darn fabricated post always being talked about. I know I would be- and I am a deaf mute!

106. Jo Mitchell

November 19, 2013 at 11:36 am

I was actually unfriended by someone on Facebook because I corrected their post about this. I said that it amazed me that your ride, saddle less and bridle less wasn’t beautiful enough that they had to make up such a story. Your performance was amazing all on it’s own!

November 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Well, lets hope they really were not a very good friend! Thank you, maybe share a link to the blog about it and let them get mad at me for correcting it next time, lol.

107. Wendy Wagner

December 7, 2013 at 10:15 am

Perhaps you would like to submit this to Snopes so that those who wish to find out if it is true can get to the facts of the matter without working so hard.

December 8, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Wendy- Snopes and Wikipedia are both a NIGHTMARE to deal with. I have submitted it. I have had other people submit it. It seems I have no more ‘pull’ than any other person….but sadly I do not. Wikipedia finally has it correct. Although I posted about twice the info that is on Wiki…and someone pulled it down. It was all fact; dates of competitions and wins, etc. Not opinion. But…oh, well. Someone didn’t want it there.

108. Megan

December 11, 2013 at 10:49 am

Stacy is not deaf or mute I have heard her give speeches and trust me she can speak and hear! For some reasons this rumor has been spreading that she is deaf and mute and neither are true! Yes she did great at her routine but she can hear as speak!

109. Bonnie

December 11, 2013 at 11:31 am

every time this video ends up on my facebook wall, I make a point of stating ‘this person is not a deaf mute, this is Stacey Westfall.

110. Julie Ottaway

December 11, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I correct everyone of these when I get it. I really admire the way you handle this. It is always best to do it with grace and humor.

111. Sue Moline

December 11, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I apologize for perpetuating the false info. I did post ( maybe a year ago now) this information just as I received it and while something didn’t sound right, I did not check the facts. You are amazing !! love your relationship with horses and your insight about horses and people. Keep up the good work…I know you hear me.

112. Theresa Westfahl Plank

December 11, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Stacy, from a fellow Westfahl (different spelling) and horse women your preformance and the song bring me to tears every time. What a beautiful tribute to your father. My father passed away the year before so this has a special meaning for me as well. My husband passed away on the 13 of November needless to say that seeing that video again the tears were rolling. Bless you and keep up the great work.

113. Starr Zizza

December 11, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Stacy what a fabulous response. I also heard you had wings and could fly, is that true??? :-)

December 11, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Well….still working on that….almost achieved it in this video….lol

• Starr Zizza

December 13, 2013 at 12:06 pm

yep, your almost there!!!

114. Rod. Young

December 11, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Damm Stacy. I feel bad now. Here I thought you had taught Roxie o be a ventriloquist and it was her talking lol. If I ever get the chance to see one of your shows I will be there for sure. Thanks for the great vids.

December 11, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Lol…that reminds me of Ellen’s comment…she said she was going to have a ‘horse-woman’ on the show…then paused and said…well, not a woman that is half horse…but if anyone knows of that she would like to see that too! lol

115. Rod. Young

December 11, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Good one lol I admire your work very much I have not been on a horse for thirty years now but hope I can before I die lol Wish you all the best

116. Kali

December 11, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I feel bad that this just keeps going around with incorrect information. You have a very good attitude about it. Regardless, it’s an amazing video!

117. Ann wood

December 11, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I know she loves horses and would be considered a” horse whisper.”..she is dedicated in what she does…..

118. Angela

December 12, 2013 at 6:09 am

Stacy, your so very inspiring. I am truly committed to my horsemanship and am working hard towards achieving my goal of having the relationship you have with your horses. My 7 year old was so inspired by your ride that he too is super keen to work with his horse! Just wish my 10 year old daughter was more interested in her horse!

119. Christine Pohlkamp

December 18, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Every time I see that video with the incorrect info on it, I make it my mission to straighten out the sender. At The Royal Winter Fair in ON, Canada, you and I talked, and you listened to me, so I have first hand experience saying you are not deaf or mute. Easy to correct other peoples perception. You are correct. Do not believe everything on the web/facebook etc.

120. Bobbette Bross

January 13, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Why in the world did you let the public believe you were a deaf mute ? Even though you came truthful in the end, I can’t seem to wrap my mind over that fact. I would have read the story anyway. You took away credibility of yourself, when you allowed the publishers to lie on your behalf.

January 13, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Bobbette- I have no idea how you got the impression that I condoned this lie. It was a lie. I did not start it. I did not ‘let the public believe.’

I tried hard to stop it and continue to do so. I correct the mis-information constantly. You seem to be starting more mis-information by saying that I allowed this. Please consider not starting another lie.

121. Lorri Birch

January 13, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I’m glad this has been cleared up for me. But Miss Stacy it doesn’t change how emotionally moved I am every time I see this.. I get very choked up and am moved to tears every time!! You are so awesome and truly blessed!! Thanks for sharing it all with us:)

122. Rod. Young

January 13, 2014 at 8:18 pm

How stupid can people be. Watch the video for gods sake./ Stacy is sitting waiting for the call and is talking with people there. 2+2 still makes 4

123. robin amborn

January 16, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I get the goosebumps and cry everytime I watch it. So sorry for the loss of your father.

124. Anjii

January 16, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Stacy is not mute nor deaf!! That was a rumor . If you look on YouTube she has interviews with people and she is talking and she can hear!

125. Coni Sherman

January 26, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I knew that, I’ve seen the video, I talked to you at Pomona…didn’t take my wow wow wow away from that incredible video.. Hope u are gonna be in Pomona! And 22 maybe 23… Haha

126. best

January 26, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Hi there, all is going sound here and ofcourse every one is
    sharing facts, that’s really good, keep up writing.

127. Linda Shultz

February 2, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I watched your video’s and it looks like you used spurs? Did that hurt Roxy And did Roxy die? You are so graceful and I love watching you ride!

128. S. Hansen

February 8, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I am still seeing this video with the false description floating around Facebook. Everytime I do see it, I comment the truth (something along the lines of “This is NOT a deaf/mute girl, this is Stacy Westfall, a very successful natural horsemanship trainer. The horse is Wizard’s Baby Doll and this is her championship ride. Youtube it….). It is an incredible video and I love watching it every time. The first time I watched it was actually before it went FB viral with the false description, and the instant I saw it on FB I knew exactly what I was watching and knew the description was false. Someone was very creative when coming up with this lie. Keep up the good work Stacy!

129. KN

February 20, 2014 at 7:09 pm

It’s a beautiful and graceful performance by both horse and rider. I’ve enjoyed watching you in this video for years. Seems like every year or two the viral mechanics get to adding more untruthiness to your perfectly wonderful story.

This gentleman has your video posted to the public on his page: he has almost 700,000 shares. Maybe asking him to take it down from his page would stop one of the viral sources? Here the latest iteration of the “story”:

“A deaf-mute girl, on a horse that she had ridden for THREE weeks!! not to mention the song she

at the time of the ride shown here.

She is using the method used by American Indians. When you think your voice can’t be heard I
    want each of you to watch this Video.

She has no voice. She cannot hear. Yet she has persevered and achieved VICTORY!”

February 21, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I just searched for it on his page but couldn’t find it. What date is it listed under? I reported it once…

• Stephanie Hobson

May 18, 2014 at 6:24 pm

March 6, 2013. Here’s the link. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4655458664237 The comments are closed. His email address is posted on another site. buchanan_buck@hotmail.com Unless he has changed it.

I reported it too; it is still being shared daily! Giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he got that information from someone else, but leaving it up now is as wrong as can be. He has to have been told numerous times that it’s not true.

Let’s all report it! And message him! lol

May 19, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I reported and sent a PM.

130. mobile nine games

April 14, 2014 at 10:07 am

My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought
    I may as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you.

Look forward to looking at your web page for a second time.

131. Roger Noble

May 4, 2014 at 7:32 pm

First time I have read all the comments……..2014

It is so sad that small minded, jealous & negative individuals have to rant on & on about something they know by now is a lie. I rode with Monte Foreman for a few years & found that a horse has much more desire to do what is natural for him than what the rider is attempting to get them to do. Stacy proves each & every training session (Jac) over & over she allows the horse to do what is most natural for him & unnatural for the rider. Horses like to perform much to my misunderstanding until riding with Monte. We attempted to get the horse to perform just as he does when he runs & plays as an Individual in the pasture. Horses must trust the trainer & Ms. Stacy has proven many thousand times over her horses trust & care for her.

Side note: No text was need when all one has to do is watch the video & experience what a lady & horse so expertly accomplished. No text or explanation needed!! Her Daddy was Proudly Smiling Down That Day!! Good Job Stacy Westfall!!

May 7, 2014 at 1:01 am

• Peter Murphy

May 7, 2014 at 2:00 am

Stacy, this is getting really old, as I am sure you are aware. Comes a time when it’s best to turn the other cheek and pay no further attention to the constant duplication and reduplication of this much abused video. Surely, you have other things you would rather respond to. Let those who will prattle, prattle away. I have written to you before- as a mute rider and handler I can tell you it’s a dang sight better just to not respond. People will know your strength and admire your skill as a horse lover.
        Godspeed, peyer

May 7, 2014 at 9:09 am

Peter- Wow, I posted at 1:AM but you were up even later than me! I don’t spend much time on it. I do get notifications when people post on the blog and I check them out to make sure they are clean and appropriate. Right now the ‘rumor’ is in a lull and that is awesome! This one post seems to answer most peoples questions and that is good. I do write back to all on my blog as often as possible to show that I am really here…even if it is just a :)

132. Suzi

July 5, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I cried oceans the first time I saw this.

133. Sally

July 16, 2014 at 8:46 am

A called Donna Farhi showed the video to a roomful of yoga teachers in Cambridge (UK) last week. She did not say you were deaf or mute! We loved it, thank you.